Judge Julie O'Kane gave jurors in the Scott Bush child sex abuse case a choice. They could go home for the night, or start deliberating. They chose the latter and got the case just after 4:00 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. However, because a decision could not be reached before 5:15 p.m., the judge that deliberations were to resume on Thursday morning.
Bush is accused of sexually battering two young family members who are adults now. The case is at the center of scandal that eventually brought down former Windermere Police Chief Daniel Saylor. Saylor pleaded guilty to official misconduct charges last year. The charges stem from allegations Saylor interfered with the investigation against Bush, who was a friend.
Saylor took the stand today as the defense presented its case. He had several contentious exchanges with prosecutor Deborah Barra. Barra pushed Saylor on the interference with the case.
In court Barra said, "I'm asking you, did you interfere with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement… investigation?" Saylor tersely responded, "In my opinion, no! In my opinion I was set up and I was used and… they wanted me out."
Barra also pushed Saylor on whether he ordered one of his Windermere Police Officers to get rid of evidence notes in the Bush case.
Saylor said, "He (told me) 'I found some notes. I don't know if they're any good anymore.' I said: 'Who cares, the investigation's over with, FDLE's already going to arrest him. Shred 'em. Burn 'em. Get rid of 'em. I don't care anymore."
Scott Bush took the stand in his own defense as well. He was asked repeatedly if he had any inappropriate contact with the girls. Every time, he replied no.