Kitchen fire leaves family homeless

Kitchen fire leaves family homeless

Posted: Updated:

A valley family is searching for a new place to stay after a fire in their kitchen leaves them homeless.

This happened near 19th Avenue and Osborn Tuesday morning.

Everyone in the Howard family was able to get out of the home.

Authorities say the fire began when the wife was making tea and accidentally lit the wrong burner on the stove -- and something caught fire.

"I was sound asleep and I heard my wife screaming and I jumped up and there was flames coming down all down the hallway.  So, I put on my pants at least and ran out the door and then the first thing I did was check the crib to see if the baby was there, but the baby..had already gone outside with her, so when I saw 'em out front, I just went outside," said Dave Howard.

"When crews got on scene they noticed there was a lot of smoke coming out of the attic, they saw the kitchen was involved in fire, they did a quick search and rescue to make sure everyone was out," said Dep. Chief Mark Faulkner, Phoenix Fire Department.

The Howards had just finished renovating the bathroom, laundry room, and roof. Now they'll have to start over.

The Red Cross is working with them to find them a new place to stay.

Video: FOX 10's Syleste Rodriguez reports.

Powered by WorldNow

4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie B
Gainesville, FL 32653

Phone: (352) 371-0051

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices