A family of five is safe after their mobile home near Main Street and Gila Bend Highway burned to the ground on Friday morning. Pinal County Sheriff's Department says the family, two adults and three teenagers, were able to get out safely, although four cats are unaccounted for.
According to homeowner Kelly Smith, the home hasn't had any electricity for a couple of days. The family had a candle burning for light when they got ready for work.
Smith says he believes a candle was too close to a couch and started the fire. One of the teens saw flames starting to creep up the wall and started screaming.
"I was sleeping in my room and all I heard was loud screaming and I ran out, I saw my whole house on fire," said Smith's son Joseph Connis.
All five people got out safely, but the trailer is a total loss.
"We had four cats inside, I tried to go back in and get the cats, but the fire went up so quickly and the flames were too high, it went too quick," says Smith.
Investigators are working to find out how the fire started. Meanwhile, friends are helping them find a place to live and get back on their feet.
4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie BGainesville, FL 32653
Phone: (352) 371-0051