Images of two suspects released
The FBI released images of two suspects during a press conference Wednesday. Investigators believe one of the suspects was caught on camera planting a bomb before heading west on Boylston Street. Anyone who believes they saw the suspects is asked to call law enforcement at 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324) and choose prompt 3. Tips can also be e-mailed to email@example.com. Both suspects should be considered armed and extremely dangerous.
President Obama honors bombing victims
President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama attended an interfaith service Thursday at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. President Obama is now visiting victims at Massachusetts General Hospital.
President Obama signs emergency declaration for Mass.
President Barack Obama announced Wednesday that he has signed an emergency declaration for Mass. He has ordered federal aid to help the local response following Monday's explosions.
Under the declaration, the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency can coordinate relief efforts to help residents and to aid the emergency response in Middlesex, Norfolk, and Suffolk counties.
Nails, BBs and shards of metal were among the objects hurled into the crowd at the Boston Marathon finish line by the two bombs that exploded there Monday. The bombs exploded about 10 seconds and 100 yards apart at about 2:50 p.m. in Copley Square. According to a person familiar with the investigation, the bombs were contained in pressure cookers and hidden in black duffel bags on the ground. The explosions killed three people and left more than 170 hurt.
FBI takes charge of investigation:
The FBI is leading the investigation into the Boston Marathon explosions, which killed three people and injured more than 170. No arrests have been made and authorities have not commented about suspects. A man connected to an apartment in Revere that had been searched by investigators has been ruled out as a suspect, according to Fox News.
Response from President Obama:
President Barack Obama held a news conference just before noon Tuesday, and for the first time, he referred to the Boston Marathon explosions as an "act of terrorism." In his second public statement in less than 24 hours since the explosions, the president said, "Clearly we are at the beginning of our investigation." He urged anyone with information relating to the events to contact authorities. Obama said investigators "don't have a sense of motivation yet" as they begin to evaluate the attack.
President Obama is scheduled to travel to Boston on Thursday for an interfaith service for bombing victims at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross.
Stepped up security around Boston:
Heavily armed state troopers, National Guard members and SWAT teams are patrolling the city of Boston. Expect bags to be randomly searched on the MBTA.
Over 2,000 tips
Law enforcement agencies are pleading for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings. The FBI says they have received over 2,000 tips related to the bombings. They gathered forensic evidence at the scene and plan to reconstruct the devices at their headquarters in Quantico, VA.
Heightened security at Logan after explosions:
Logan International Airport in Boston has heightened security the day after two bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon. One flight was returned to the gate and rescreened, while another was held after landing so authorities could inspect the baggage.
The third victim killed in the Boston Marathon bombings has been identified as a Boston University graduate student. The school has not released the name of the student, pending permission from family members.
Eight-year-old Martin Richard, of Dorchester, died in the explosions. He was at the finish line watching the race with his family.
Krystle Campbell, of Medford, a 29-year-old restaurant manager, has been identified as one of three people killed in the bombing at the Boston Marathon.
Jeff Bauman Jr. had both legs amputated as a result of the blast. The 27-year-old had to have both lower limbs removed at Boston Medical Center because of extensive vascular and bone damage. He also had to have another surgery because of fluid in his abdomen, according to his father.
Nicholas Yanni suffered minor injuries in the explosions. During a news conference Tuesday at Tufts Medical Center, Yanni said he never could have imagined a bomb would have been detonated at the Boston Marathon.
The race will go on in 2014
The executive director of the Boston Athletic Association calls the race a "deeply held tradition -- an integral part of the fabric and history of our community." Thomas Grilk says in a statement Tuesday that organizers are "committed to continuing that tradition" with the 118th Boston Marathon in 2014. He adds that his group is cooperating with law enforcement in the investigation of the bombings.
If you see something, say something
The FBI is asking anyone with any photos or videos from the scene of the explosions to send those photos to law enforcement. No tip is too small to send.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.