Family escapes burning Scottsdale home, flames spread to shed

Family escapes burning Scottsdale home, flames spread to shed

Posted: Updated:
  • Arizona HeadlinesMore>>

  • Tentative deal reached on VA reform

    Tentative deal reached on VA reform

    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The chairmen of the House and Senate Veterans Affairs committees have reached a tentative agreement on a plan to fix a veterans' health program scandalized by long patient wait times and falsified records covering up delays.Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., scheduled a news conference Monday to talk about a compromise plan to improve veterans' care.Miller chairs the House veterans panel, while Sanders chairs the Senate panel.A spokesman for Sanders s...
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- The chairmen of the House and Senate Veterans Affairs committees have reached a tentative agreement on a plan to fix a veterans' health program scandalized by long patient wait times and falsified records covering up delays.Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., scheduled a news conference Monday to talk about a compromise plan to improve veterans' care.Miller chairs the House veterans panel, while Sanders chairs the Senate panel.A spokesman for Sanders s...
  • Damage reports across North Phoenix

    Damage reports across North Phoenix

    Folks are cleaning up in North Phoenix after storms hit the area. The National Weather Service confirms a microburst hit the area.
    Folks are cleaning up in North Phoenix after storms hit the area. The National Weather Service confirms a microburst hit the area.
  • 2yo found in above ground pool

    2yo found in above ground pool

    A 2-year-old girl was taken to the hospital in critical condition Saturday afternoon after she was found floating in the family’s above ground pool.The family pulled the child out and started CPR, which fire crews continued when they arrived. Glendale Fire says they were able to get a pulse and the girl was able to breath with assistance while they were on the way to the hospital.The family had lost track of the girl. It is unknown how long she was under water for.
    A 2-year-old girl was taken to the hospital in critical condition Saturday afternoon after she was found floating in the family’s above ground pool.The family pulled the child out and started CPR, which fire crews continued when they arrived. Glendale Fire says they were able to get a pulse and the girl was able to breath with assistance while they were on the way to the hospital.The family had lost track of the girl. It is unknown how long she was under water for.
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -

A Scottsdale family escaped their burning home Saturday, but then the fire spread to the alley and a neighboring shed.

A man who lives nearby saw the smoke, so he and a friend drove to check it out. They didn't know they'd be driving up to a first-alarm house fire with people running, just as firefighters were getting there.

Adam Collins says he saw the smoke from his house and wanted to check it out, not knowing he'd pull up to find a home engulfed in flames.

The first-alarm fire started Saturday afternoon at a house on 83rd street, near Chaparral and Hayden Roads in Scottsdale.

911 had already been called when Collins captured the scene on his cell phone.

"Once you got closer to the house you could definitely see flames coming out of the garage," said Collins.

Collins says he saw the homeowners running out of the house as flames shot out of the house.

Firefighters weren't far behind.

"I remember the lady was kind of in distress," said Collins.

"There was a family inside the house, all of them exited safely along with the family dog," said Battalion Executive Officer Brian Read with the fire department.

Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe firefighters worked to put the fire out.

Investigators say the fire started in the back of the attic, but the flames jumped to the alley.

"It extended into a shed across the alleyway, just to the east of the structure," said Read.

Firefighters say hazmat was called because of a report of an explosion in the garage.

The cause is of the explosion and the fire is under investigation.

"I was kind of devastated, like, wow, I've never seen anything like that before. It's kind of weird seeing it up close and personal," said Collins.

No one was injured in the fire.

Firefighters didn't know the extent of the damage done to the house or shed.

Powered by WorldNow

4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie B
Gainesville, FL 32653

Phone: (352) 371-0051

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices