A tall plume of smoke could be seen for miles as it floated over the valley from the downtown Phoenix area. A family was selling fruit on the side of the road when they saw smoke and called 911.Big clouds of black smoke billowed from Broadway Metal Recycling near 33rd Avenue and Broadway Sunday afternoon."Lots and lots of smoke, it's like a big cloud," said Jhoanna Telix. 9-year-old Telix took cell phone video of the fire.She was selling fruit across the street with her family and said she could hear the fire crackling and popping. "Leaving the station, we could see a big plume of smoke. We knew the area, knew a lot of junk yard debris areas down here," said Phoenix Fire Capt. Dave Schmitt. Schmitt says firefighters' safety was of the utmost importance.
"My concerns, obviously safety of firefighters, given the material in here, old computer parts, very toxic. We have the best safety equipment," said Schmitt. Firefighters attacked the fire from all angles and kept it from spreading to nearby buildings and businesses.Schmitt says recycling or junkyard fires like this aren't uncommon when the weather gets warmer."Anything can start them from careless cigarettes, piece of glass laying on debris piles, self-combustion, anything, but they are more prevalent in the summer," said Schmitt.
4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie BGainesville, FL 32653
Phone: (352) 371-0051