Long before expensive beauty creams hit store shelves, people used simple supermarket ingredients for their beauty needs.
Devin Giannoni, a beauty expert and founder of the website Pretty Public Beauty, showed viewers how to make our own beauty products.
1. Pumpkin mocha hydrating facial mask – pumpkin is rich in vitamins a & c, cocoa is high also in antioxidants, yogurt contains lactic acid which refines pores, cleanses, honey is anti-bacterial
2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin
½ teaspoon of unsweetened coca
1 teaspoon of plain greek yogurt
¼ teaspoon of honey
Instructions: mix ingredients together. Allow to chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Smooth over face for 15 minutes.
Rinse off and pat dry.
2. Beach hair texturizing spray – creates texture without drying out hair
½ cup of water
2 tablespoons of sea salt
½ tablespoons of your favorite leave-in conditioner
1 drop of argan oil
*to make a spray that is a bit stiffer for oily hair, add 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
Instructions: in a small plastic spray bottle, pour in water, sea salt, leave-in conditioner and 1 drop of argan oil. Shake bottle to mixed ingredients thoroughly.
Spritz on bottom half of dry hair after curling to create a piecey, beachy hair look. Also can be sprayed into palms and worked into hair.
3. Avocado deep-conditioning hair mask - avocadoes are hydrating, eggs contain keratin to strengthen hair, argan oil conditions
Half of a soft avocado, blended or mashed until completely smooth
Half of the egg white from one small egg, whipped
¼ teaspoon of argan oil
Instructions: combined ingredients, adding in the whipped egg white slowly. Apply to dry, brushed hair starting at the ends. Smooth the mixture in your hands and work from the ends up, covering half way up the hair. Cover with a shower cap or clip hair up and let absorb for 30 minutes. Rinse in the shower with warm water. Shampoo and condition as usual after rinsing out the treatment.
4. De-puff gel eye mask - cucumber has natural de-puffing action, flesh of the cucumber is mostly water but also contains vitamin c and caffeic acid, which prevents water-retention. Aloe vera is anti-inflammatory
1 tablespoon of cucumber flesh (mash in small bowl)
½ tablespoon of pure aloe vera gel
2 first aid gauze pads
Instructions: mix cucumber and aloe vera gel together. Fold gauze pads in half and place spoonful of mixture in the middle of the fold. Place over lower half of eyes for 15 minutes. Don't rinse, pat dry if needed.
5. Sensitive skin strawberry facial scrub - flaxseed contains omega 3 essential fatty acids which help to add luminosity to the skin while gently exfoliating, strawberries cleanse and tighten pores, vitamin E brightens the complexion
1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal
2 tablespoons of freezer dried strawberries (crushed to a powder form)
2 tablespoons of vitamin E oil
Instructions: combined ingredients to form a scrub. Dampen face with water. Spread scrub over palms of hands and gently work hands in circular motions over your face. Rinse and pat dry.