Attorneys for suspended DeKalb County CEO Burrell Ellis have filed a request to continue his trial, which is currently scheduled to start on August 19, FOX 5 Atlanta's Portia Bruner confirmed Thursday.
Originally, there had been a request for a speedy trial. The pre-trial hearing set for Friday, August. 9, is still on the docket.
Gov. Nathan Deal suspended Burrell Ellis in mid-July, appointing Lee May to serve as interim DeKalb County CEO. The suspension was effective immediately, Deal said. It would last indefinitely either until the court case is completely adjudicated or Ellis term is up.
The move comes after a state-appointed panel recommended suspension of Ellis. Ellis was indicted on 15 counts in June.
"This is not something that I seek," Deal said. "It is a very difficult kind of situation for everybody involved."
Prosecutors say Ellis tried to extort campaign contributions from companies and their employees. Prosecutors allege Ellis instructed the county's director of purchasing and contracting to prevent some companies from getting business because they didn't contribute to his campaign.
May is the DeKalb County Commissioner. He was sworn in less than an hour after the governor made the announcement.
"Some people are congratulating me; others are giving me condolences," May said. "I'm just honored to be in this position and, with God's strength, we're going to move this county forward."