Dozens displaced in North Bergen building fire

Dozens displaced in North Bergen building fire

Posted: Updated:
New Jersey News New Jersey News

Officials are looking for housing after a fire displaced dozens of residents in a five-story apartment building in North Bergen.

Saturday night's blaze caused extensive damage to the top floor of the structure on John F. Kennedy Boulevard.

Officials say the fire appeared to be electrical in nature and is believed to have started in a crawl space between the top floor and the roof.

A firefighter sustained broken ribs, but residents escaped unharmed.

Mayor Nick Sacco tells The Record  newspaper officials will discuss housing options Monday with representatives of the American Red Cross and North Bergen Community Action.

"The structure is compromised, numerous families are displaced, and the Red Cross is assisting," Police Officer Dino Apostolakos told The Record.

The smoke from the five-alarm fire could be seen across the river in Manhattan.

City spokesman Philip Swibinski told The Jersey Journal about 60 families live in the building.

Mayor Nicholas Sacco said in a Facebook post around 9 p.m. that firefighters were still working and a temporary shelter had been set up at a nearby high school.








  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow

4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie B
Gainesville, FL 32653

Phone: (352) 371-0051

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices