Police investigation of Charles Pugh sent to prosecutor

Police investigation of Charles Pugh sent to prosecutor

Posted: Updated:
(Credit: WJBK|myFOXDetroit.com) Charles Pugh (Credit: WJBK|myFOXDetroit.com) Charles Pugh
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

Former Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh may have moved out of Michigan but it appears has not been able to completely escape from the troubles he left behind.

Madison Heights Police confirming to FOX 2 they have sent the Oakland County Prosecutor's office information officers gathered during an investigation into claims Pugh had inappropriate contact with a teenager he once mentored. The incident reported is alleged to have happened on May 31st, 2013.

The 18-year-old boy and his mother filed a report with police in June but later requested the civil and criminal investigation be put on hold. Police in Madison Heights agreed to suspend the case.

A statement from police says during the course of the investigation officers were able to complete an interview with the victim. Charles Pugh was also given an opportunity to be interviewed however his attorney contacted MHPD and advised Pugh not to give an interview at this time but may reconsider in the future.

The allegations came to light at the same time Pugh mysteriously vanished from public view, dropped his social media accounts and changed his phone number.

In September Pugh called the FOX 2 Newsroom and spoke with staffers about the allegations against him and also sent a statement which read in part:

It's been challenging, but I found the strength to move on with my life despite a deliberate effort to destroy me with rumors, innuendo, half-truth and outright B.S. (including a false police report filed against me). However, God is still good and I am moving on--grateful for every lesson I have learned.

Read Pugh's full statement: Charles Pugh contacts FOX 2.

In the letter released to the media Pugh further explained he was stepping down from his position on council and had accepted an offer of employment elsewhere. The letter also said he had requested a doctor-recommended leave of absence months earlier but was told by Kevyn Orr's office the leave was not allowable.

So far no specifics about the Madison Heights Police Department's investigation have been released or any new comments from Charles Pugh, who was a reporter and anchor at WJBK Fox from 1999 to 2009.

He became Detroit's first openly gay elected official when he was elected as Detroit City Council President in 2009. 

William R. Seikaly, attorney for the 18-year-old boy, release this statement Oct. 8 on the criminal investigation of Charles Pugh:

"As indicated in our statement of July 8, 2013, we will have no comment regarding the details of the criminal investigation of Charles Pugh. The Madison Heights Police have done a very thorough and complete investigation. They obviously believe that there was criminal wrongdoing, or they would not have turned it over to the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office. We have the same confidence in the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office that we had and have in the Madison Heights Police. We believe that the prosecutors will act in accordance with the facts and the law, and we will continue to cooperate with them.
On behalf of the victim and his family, I would like to thank the Madison Heights Police, and specifically the detectives in charge of this investigation, for their outstanding work."

Come back to myFOXDetroit.com for updates on this developing story.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • FBI joins the search for Armada teen's killer

    FBI joins the search for Armada teen's killer

    Friday, July 25 2014 11:08 PM EDT2014-07-26 03:08:38 GMT
    The FBI has joined the investigation team searching for the killer of a 14-year-old Armada girl, April Millsap.
    The FBI has joined the investigation team searching for the killer of a 14-year-old Armada girl, April Millsap. Authorities also say they are now looking for a small motorcycle in addition to the gray, dented van seen in the area.
  • Vandals damage historic Detroit cemetery

    Vandals damage historic Detroit cemetery

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:38 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:38:55 GMT
    Police are looking for suspects after vandals disturb the peace at a historic Detroit cemetery. Someone broke into a mausoleum and made a mess with spray paint and ashes.
    Police are looking for suspects after vandals disturb the peace at a historic Detroit cemetery. Someone broke into a mausoleum and made a mess with spray paint and ashes.
  • Man hospitalized after run-in with Ecorse police

    Man hospitalized after run-in with Ecorse police

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:05 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:05:54 GMT
    Witnesses and lawyers say a man was attacked by Ecorse police Monday morning even though he was complying with police demands.
    Witnesses and lawyers say a man was attacked by Ecorse police Monday morning even though he was complying with police demands.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie B
Gainesville, FL 32653

Phone: (352) 371-0051

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices