Times Square pedestrian plaza rebuilt

Times Square pedestrian plaza rebuilt

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

With just over a week left in his administration, Mayor Michael Bloomberg Monday cut the ribbon for a long-term project: the Times Square street reconstruction. In 2009 Broadway was closed to vehicles from 47th Street to 42nd Street. A pedestrian mall from 42nd Street to 43rd Street on Monday was opened. It is covered with what the mayor's office calls permanent pavers, slabs of high-end concrete.

Broadway from 43rd Street to 44th Street was supposed to be covered with the high-end concrete slabs too, but only a portion got done in time for the Times Square new year's celebration.

Because the city did not complete putting down these pavers or fancy concrete blocks it had to put down asphalt on 43rd Street and Broadway. The city's plan is to replace it with the concrete paver blocks in the spring.

The reconstruction also caused some chaos for a few stores in Times Square. The Broadway entrance to the H& M store was closed for five weeks because the sidewalk was too crowded due to the street construction work.

If five renovated pedestrian malls are completed business should increase even more than it already has, city officials said.

After January 1, it will be up to Mayor Bill de Blasio whether to keep the pedestrian malls from 47th Street to 42nd Street. But if he decides to allow traffic on Broadway again, it will be expensive to tear up the pavers or fancy concrete blocks.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie B
Gainesville, FL 32653

Phone: (352) 371-0051

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices