Was Weinberg 'Bridgegate' target?

Was Weinberg 'Bridgegate' target?

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) - NJ St. Sen. and Democratic majority leader Lorretta Weinberg says she may have been the target of the lane closures leading to the George Washington Bridge that has ensnared Gov. Chris Christie in a scandal and lead to the firing of a top aide.

The closures in mid-September were apparently ordered by Christie's former deputy chief of staff Bridget Kelly and were believed to be in retaliation for the mayor of Fort Lee not endorsing Christie for re-election.

Both Christie and the Mayor Mark Sokolich said they hadn't met before the scandal erupted. No evidence links Christie to the lane closures and the governor apologized to New Jersey residents for the hours-long delays crossing the bridge Sept. 9-13.

But a new theory has emerged that Sokolich was not the intended target. Kelly's email ordering the lane closures was sent less than 24 hours after Christie criticized Senate Democrats for forcing him to withdraw his re-election nomination for state Justice Helen Hoens.

"The governor has been mad at me in the past so that’s not too difficult for me to believe. But until we know who told Bridget Kelly to send the email to David Wildstein “time to create traffic in Fort Lee” and why she was asked to do it there are going to be many theories. The problem is we don’t know the full story yet," said Weinberg.

To add fuel to the controversy, Weinberg also says that Christie must have known about the closures earlier than he has admitted.

Weinberg sent the governor a letter questioning the lane closures on Sept. 19.

“I got no reaction (from Christie.) He’s certainly known about it since the letter was sent.  I wrote to the Port Authority what is going on here. I went to a Port Authority commission meeting in October, November and December standing in front of the commissioners asking the same question. Then we have the cover-up when Bill Baroni, appointed by Christie as the executive Director of the Port Authority, made up a whole story about why they did this," said Weinberg.

The state leader says she'll continue to probe for answers.

She'll be in attendance at the governor's State of the State address on Tuesday afternoon.


  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie B
Gainesville, FL 32653

Phone: (352) 371-0051

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices