Man dies at South Dakota hot dog eating contest

Man dies at South Dakota hot dog eating contest

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy photo, Rapid City Journal Courtesy photo, Rapid City Journal
CUSTER, S.D. (AP) -- A Fourth of July hot dog eating contest in western South Dakota turned tragic when a contestant choked to death.
 
Walter Eagle Tail, 47, of Custer, died at a hospital Thursday after attempts to save him at the scene failed, Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler told the Rapid City Journal (http://bit.ly/1n3EKRD ).
 
"There was someone doing CPR when we arrived," Wheeler said. "He probably just suffocated. It got lodged in his throat and they (paramedics) couldn't get it out.
 
"It all happened within minutes," the sheriff said.
 
The Custer Chamber of Commerce, which sponsored the contest, canceled a pie-eating contest scheduled for Friday.
 
"We are at a loss for words," Chamber Executive Director Dave Ressler said. "We are mourning for Walter and his family right now."
 
Speed-eating competitions are popular over the Fourth of July weekend. Eight-time champion Joey "Jaws" Chestnut managed to eat 61 hot dogs in 10 minutes at an annual contest in Coney Island, New York, on Friday -- eight short of the record 69 he swallowed in the 2013 competition.
 
George Shea, chairman of Major League Eating, a competitive eating organization based in New York, said organizers do all they can to prevent casualties during contests, though his group had nothing to do with the South Dakota event.
 
"We always make sure it's in a controlled environment," Shea said. "We organize the entire thing around safety. (Just as) if it's football or hockey or auto racing, we approach it as a top priority."
 
Funeral arrangements were pending for Eagle Tail, whom friends described as a fun-loving, kind and caring man.
 
"Walter was just being Walter, having fun when he entered this contest," said Ardis McRae. "He was just having a good time."
   ------
Information from: Rapid City Journal, http://www.rapidcityjournal.com

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:43 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:43:20 GMT
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
  • Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
  • 3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:51:19 GMT
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • What's HotMore>>

  • New hearing aid technology syncs with your iPhone

    New hearing aid technology syncs with your iPhone

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:03 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:03:18 GMT
    Ten percent of Americans have some hearing loss but most of the people who could get help from a hearing aid won't wear one because they are embarrassed. But now, new technology may change the way we feel about hearing aids.
    Ten percent of Americans have some hearing loss but most of the people who could get help from a hearing aid won't wear one because they are embarrassed. But now, new technology may change the way we feel about hearing aids.
  • The new way to capture your proposal on video

    The new way to capture your proposal on video

    Friday, July 25 2014 7:35 PM EDT2014-07-25 23:35:24 GMT
    It looks like an ordinary ring box, but it's designed with a hidden camera to capture your special moment.
    It looks like an ordinary ring box, but it's designed with a hidden camera to capture your special moment.
  • On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire

    On Your Side: Samsung cell phone fire

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-25 02:31:18 GMT
    A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about.
    A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about.
Powered by WorldNow

4739 NW 53rd Avenue, Sutie B
Gainesville, FL 32653

Phone: (352) 371-0051

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices