Florida man loses 2 fingers in fireworks accident
MERRITT ISLAND, Fla. (AP) - A Florida man lost two fingers to a fireworks accident. The injury happened Tuesday night in Merritt Island.
Witnesses said neighbors were lighting modified fireworks around 9 p.m. on Tuesday night at the Garden Apartments on Lucas Road in Merritt Island. They told authorities the 23-year-old male victim asked his neighbors if he could throw one.
The victim got it into his hand, and after it was lit, he started to cock back to throw it and it blew up.
"I couldn't really see him. It was dark, but once he got into the light, I saw blood on his face. It was bad," said Robert Rosette, who called 911.
He was transported to a hospital for treatment.