LOS ANGELES - Feeling stressed? If “long walk in the woods” and “yoga” keep getting pushed to the bottom of your to-do list, what about just hitting play?
We know music makes us feel good, but a UK study has worked to identify music that is proven to make us relax- with the number one song on the list actually reducing anxiety by 65 percent.
The research firm MindLab came up with a list of 10 songs by artists from Adele to Mozart that calm the body -- and mind. The combinations of rhythm, harmonies, and bass lines slow the heartbeat, reduce blood pressure and lower cortisol levels.
The number one song on the list was “Weightless,” a collaboration between the group Marconi Union and sound therapists. The song was so effective at making anxiety melt away that researchers noted that some people became so drowsy that they’d advise against driving while listening to the song because it could be dangerous.
So check out these tunes and give them a listen the next time you need to unwind -- just not while operating heavy machinery.
Inc.com made a public playlist of the songs.
10. "We Can Fly," by Rue du Soleil (Café Del Mar)
9. "Canzonetta Sull'aria," by Mozart
8. "Someone Like You," by Adele
7. "Pure Shores," by All Saints
6. "Please Don't Go," by Barcelona
5. "Strawberry Swing," by Coldplay
4. "Watermark," by Enya
3. "Mellomaniac (Chill Out Mix)," by DJ Shah
2. "Electra," by Airstream
1. "Weightless," by Marconi Union