4 kids hurt in mass shooting outside restaurant near downtown Orlando, police say

Loading Video…

This browser does not support the Video element.

4 children shot near downtown Orlando restaurant

Four children were shot in broad daylight Sunday near downtown Orlando, and one remained in critical condition, authorities said. Police said the gunfire erupted after a fight involving kids outside Sister Soul Food on South Paramore Avenue. The restaurant was boarded up on Monday as officers continued searching for the shooters.

Four kids were taken to the hospital after a mass shooting on Sunday outside a restaurant near downtown Orlando, according to the Orlando Police Department. 

Police said the shooting may have started as an argument with another group of kids, though few details have been released.

‘Dispute involving other juveniles’

What we know:

Orlando police said the shooting was reported shortly before 1 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 15, near South Parramore Avenue and South Street. When officers arrived, they found four kids with gunshot wounds. All four were taken to the hospital.

Police said three of the kids had non-life-threatening injuries and that one had a life-threatening injury.

"Preliminary investigation indicates the incident stemmed from a dispute involving other juveniles. Detectives are actively working to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting," police said.

Sister Soul Food, a neighborhood restaurant near where the shooting happened, posted on its Facebook page about a "tragic incident" that has happened earlier in the day.

"Our hearts are heavy as we pray for the individuals who were injured during this incident. We are asking for strength, healing, and protection over him and his family during this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected. We sincerely hope that all involved recover quickly," read the post.

"While we do not yet know the full details surrounding what happened, we do not condone any acts of violence."

On Monday, the windows and doors of the restaurant were boarded up. There was yellow crime scene tape wrapped around the door handle. 

What we don't know:

Police have not released the names of the four people who were hurt, only referring to them as juveniles. Police have also not released any specific details on the circumstances that may have led to the shooting, nor any information about a possible suspect or suspects connected to the shooting.

What they're saying:

"Violence involving our youth is heartbreaking and unacceptable. As a community, we must continue working together—parents, educators, faith leaders, and community partners—to create safe spaces, provide mentorship, and ensure our young people have positive outlets and support systems.

I remain in close communication with city leadership and law enforcement, and I am committed to supporting efforts that promote safety, accountability, and healing within our community. We ask residents to allow investigators the time and space needed to complete their work and to continue keeping these families in your prayers" - Orlando Commissioner Shan Rose, who represents District 5.

Rose released a second statement on Monday evening: "To our young people — I am speaking to you not just as your Commissioner, but as someone who deeply cares about this community. Violence is not the answer. Picking up a gun will never solve the pain, the frustration, or the challenges you may be facing. Please put the guns down. Your life is valuable. Your purpose is greater than this moment. We are here to walk alongside you, to connect you with resources, mentorship, and real support. My office stands ready to help. I love you, and I believe in your future."

Sister Soul Food, a restaurant in the area where the shooting happened, posted Sunday night on its Facebook page about a "tragic incident" that happened earlier in the day near the restaurant. FOX 35 has reached out to the owners of Sister Soul Food for comment.

Former Orlando City Commissioner Regina Hill also posted about the incident: "It is traumatic to see 100’00’s [sic] of millions poured into youth programs, family services, jobs, housing, education, and mixed-income development — real investment and real transformation during Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, Commisioner Daisy Lynum and my tenure — and then watch violence threaten the very progress we fought so hard to build."

"We worked too hard for this community. But one tragic day doesn’t erase decades of work."

The Source: The information is from the Orlando Police Department.

OrlandoCrime and Public SafetyNews